Periodic surging with pedal assist

All about maintenance of your MATE
rma

Periodic surging with pedal assist

Post by rma » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:32 pm

I've posted this question to the "Help Desk", but maybe someone here knows the answer. My new MATE S arrived a few days ago, and I've noticed a periodic surging with pedal assist: the hub motor turns on and then cuts out with each revolution of the pedals. This happens with all 5 assist levels. Is this how pedal assist is supposed to work? Or is there an adjustment I can make to eliminate the pulsing? Or is it a malfunction covered by the warranty?

rma

Re: Periodic surging with pedal assist

Post by rma » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:47 pm

I got this advice from the mate-indigogo comments (thanks, Malcolm Jacks!): "RMA, the problem with the motor cutting out could be that the brake sensor is activating because the bake is set a little to tight. The Brake sensor is there so when you apply your brake it cuts out the motor, Hope you have better success. Malcolm"

I haven't tried this yet, but I'm a little skeptical. The behavior is so well coordinated with the pedal revolutions that I can't see how the brake sensor would be involved. On the other hand, I didn't even know the brake sensor existed until I read Malcolm's message, so I'll definitely check it out.

Mike

rma

Post by rma » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:55 pm

Here's another piece of advice (thanks to Terho Halme):

"I would check the magnetic ring of pedal, does it have a constant distance from magnetic sensor (this has a cable) around the whole circle? Are the magnets fixed properly to the ring? Are switches of the the brake handles too sensitive, can they be adjusted?"

vince

Post by vince » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:04 pm

Thank you for sharing.

vince
vince