REPLACE YOUR FRONT SKEWER NOW!

All about maintenance of your MATE
turk123

REPLACE YOUR FRONT SKEWER NOW!

Post by turk123 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:40 am

It has been discovered that the front skewer that holds the front wheel on is of the lowest quality possible. The skewer has a plastic washer that will compress if tightened too much. Quality skewers are made of steel and some have brass washers to stop the compression from happening. If the plastic washer compresses too far the nut on the other side can come loose. Lightweight skewers can be made of titanium, but do not offer as much strength as steel. Since Mate bikes weight in on the hefty side, I would not even consider saving more weight with titanium.

The skewer that Mate currently uses on all their bike models has been identified in an eBay ad. The skewer was selling for $2.50 including shipping! A well-made skewer such as one from Shimano retails for about $15-25. They are made with steel parts and have internal clamping. Internal clamping is the original design made years ago for quick release skewer. The very original design was by Campagnolo who invented the quick release skewer. They used internal clamping and metal parts.

There has been an accident reported already with a Mate customer. The person was in a serious accident when the front skewer loosened and the front wheel came off. The skewer was recovered and was missing the end nut. Others who have taken their bikes to repair shops have found out that the front skewer is not a quality product. They have been told to replace it.

I will be receiving my 2 mates the next few days to have a first-hand look. I have already purchased new front skewers for them. Shimano makes first rate products whether on the low end or up through their high end. They can be purchased at most bike shops, on-line and even at Walmart. The skewer size is 132-135 mm standard size for almost all bikes.

I would love for others to chime in on the proper way to tighten Quick release skewers and mounting them on the bike. I was told that the lever side should be on the side of the disk brake. I am not an expert when it comes to bicycles, but I've owned a few good quality Treks. I also know that when Mate claims to provide the best possible quality for their customers, you just have to look at the skewer they used.

I will add a picture of the skewer I bought from Shimano. It is one of their first models from years ago with proven performance.
Shimano's other skewers are also very good.
Shimano HB-RM50.jpg
Shimano HB-RM50.jpg (9.27 KiB) Viewed 674 times
Two Mate's - 350 motor 17AH battery.
====================================
*** Moderator***

turk123

Re: REPLACE YOUR FRONT SKEWER NOW!

Post by turk123 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:27 am

Here is a picture of a Mate skewer. If you notice closely, the round object in the center of the picture goes on the shaft up to the lever. It has a plastic insert that presses against the hub when the lever is tightened. It will give and cause the nut on the end to be free to turn off in a long ride.

The skewer is also an external clamping cam. This does not exert as much force against the hub.

This is not safe on your bike.
Mate skewers.jpg
Mate skewers.jpg (589.14 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Two Mate's - 350 motor 17AH battery.
====================================
*** Moderator***