Replacement parts for your Mate

All about maintenance of your MATE
turk123

Replacement parts for your Mate

Post by turk123 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:34 pm

I thought I would start a thread that could point us to replacement parts that either are actual or equivalent parts for the mate bike. Some parts like the front skewer should be replaced with a better quality part. The fenders on the Mate bike are so-so and probably could be upgraded to a stronger quality. All of the current Mate parts should be source-able through china suppliers, we just need to identify them and provide links to the source.

Mate's has not really specified how we are to get replacement parts when something gets damaged in shipping or riding other than to fill out a survey form and wait 7-10 days for them to answer. With the low cost of bicycle parts today and the interchangeability of standard parts, we should be able to upgrade our bikes with better well designed replacements. So let's have a go at it.

Post parts you have either purchased or are thinking about purchasing here and our Admin can possible create a sticky at the top where we can keep a running list of equivalent replacement parts. Please identify if the part is actual replacement or equivalent or better. Also try to post actual part numbers so we can search for the part ourselves.

I would love to replace the brake calipers, tires, seat, pedals, so many things to get the bike up to the standards it deserves.
Two Mate's - 350 motor 17AH battery.
====================================
*** Moderator***

turk123

New Skewer

Post by turk123 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:33 pm

The front skewer for the Mate bike is, well, suspect. Someone in our mate community had a terrible fall when her skewer failed and the front wheel came off. After looking into the issue further, she found the same skewer Mate uses on eBay for $2.50 including shipping!! I've found the same Mate skewer for 10 for a dollar!

The proper skewer to use is an internal cam steel or titanium made with no plastic parts to compress allowing the end nut to come off.

Here is one I found, but there are many good ones out there. This is a Shimano HB-RM50, but many of the Shimano front skewers are perfectly safe and well made. The front is a 100 - 105 mm size. This skewer is a little hard to find as it is one of the original QR skewers made. The one below is easily found on Amazon.

Shimano HB-RM50 Front Quick Release.jpg
Shimano HB-RM50 Front Quick Release.jpg (14.51 KiB) Viewed 1534 times

Another shimano skewer:

Shimano Ultegra 6800 Front 100 mm Quick Release
$13.28

Many of these are on Ebay and Amazon.
*** Moderator***

vince

Re: Replacement parts for your Mate

Post by vince » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi Turk,
Your posts are always worth reading. This especially it's really important because related to safety of MATE owners. I have also read about the accident happened to a owner and that refreined me to use intensively my MATE. Now I'm in Japan, I'll come back home in few weeks and I will check a valid substitute of that piece as you suggested.
vince

turk123

New pedals

Post by turk123 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:52 pm

Part of the problem with the Mate supplied pedal is that it feels like it has a loose bearing. It actually is not the bearing and the the bearing actually looks fine. The folding mechanism is actually at fault. If you grab hold of the Mate pedal, it has a lot of play. I can see this having a problem in the future as the looseness is causing a click every time you pedal. It could fail.

There are many pedals on the market but the one I found (actually recommended by PeeWee) is the MKS Cygma EZY Removable MTB Flat Pedals / Quick Release Flat Pedals. Instead of folding out of the way when you fold up the entire bike, these remove easily with two fingers popping off the stem. If you park your bike it can also act as a security help when you can leave your bike and take the pedals with you. They even give you a cloth bag to carry them with.

MKS Cygma EZY (available on Amazon)

cygma pedel.jpg
cygma pedel.jpg (444.22 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
*** Moderator***

turk123

Keys

Post by turk123 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:37 pm

I bent one of my keys while folding the bike! Others have done this also. Take the key out of the battery before folding!

That said, I took the other key to the locksmith and he was unable to copy. He needs a number of the blank used. He had similar blanks and he tried to no avail.

Enter @Tanel from Line messenger. He has or has access to a key identifying machine.
168_171.jpg
168_171.jpg (130.28 KiB) Viewed 1498 times

It has identified the blank for the key:

JMA DAE-1P

I will take this to my locksmith and see what he can do.
*** Moderator***

turk123

keys

Post by turk123 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:14 pm

The blank is difficult to find. Keyblankdepot.com had them under DAE- 1.P in the JMI catalog. $1 a piece. I ordered 10 of them to take to my locksmith. I will report back here when I know if they will work.
*** Moderator***

turk123

Re: Replacement parts for your Mate

Post by turk123 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:50 am

The blank keys work just fine! I had 3 new keys made per my two bikes.
*** Moderator***

lausse

Re: New pedals

Post by lausse » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:28 pm

turk123 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:52 pm
They even give you a cloth bag to carry them with.

MKS Cygma EZY (available on Amazon)

cygma pedel.jpg
Anyone seen where you can buy these holders?
Otherwise I found https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... als+holder and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN34KmtWiBw
One Black One Red - 350W motor 17AH battery. Slowly exchanging parts and adding on stuff.
================================================================================