Hello from Kotka, Finland

Here your first post about you: location, model of MATE you own, plan, ...
catharsis

Hello from Kotka, Finland

Post by catharsis » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:38 am

My name is Terho Halme and I live in Kotka, South-Eastern part of Finland. Ordered backer blue MATE City and X-module in October. Last week I also paid air freight to get my ebike in this month (note positive thinking). I bought my first ebike, Batavus Torino, two years ago. Well, I adjusted the saddle to my wife to test and then I had to order a new one for myself :)

This has been a massive project to MATE team. They had to organize production over 50 times bigger than they originally planned. As a manufacturing engineer I can understand the unexpected issues, delays and difficulties in such a big project. Sure MATE team had been too optimistic with their promises but it is sad to see people calling them liars. People had not understood that we are backing the manufacturing of a new product, not buying an ebike from the net store.

vince

Re: Hello from Kotka, Finland

Post by vince » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:11 am

Welcome Terho!
I read a lot about the MATE project but I think your post summarise in the best way the situation.
I fully agree with you and I'm glad to have you here joining the forum.
Sometimes it's important to keep calm and to evaluate exactly the entire story about a so challenging project. At the end MATE team missed a clear communication through updates...
vince

catharsis

Re: Hello from Kotka, Finland

Post by catharsis » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:18 pm

Yep, they had been under very hard pressure. Difficulties with authorities in China and shipping companies in the US were unexpected. They pushed too hard the factory, which led to errors in packing and delays in part of batch two. The pressure from backers who didn't read or understand updates, VAT or can't use the customer page, have been high. I can't understand about the demands of exact days of delivering, nothing you order abroad don't have exact delivery day. How can you estimate delivering, if the partners don't tell them? Then the optimism led too tight promises and a lot of angry questions. I expect though there will be plenty of waiting for.